XBOX Series X HDMI Repair
We hear quite often from our customers that this is the first time they have broken the HDMI port on any XBOX that they have owned. Over the years we have done many XBOX HDMI port repairs but with the launch of the new XBOX Series X there seems to be a significant influx of requests for this repair. In most cases it is the one of the HDMI ends that snaps off when pulling out the HDMI cord at a slight angle. This is mainly due to cheap parts and poor design from the manufacturer.
HOW DID I BREAK MY HDMI PORT?
Besides just normal wear and tear the most common way the port breaks is if you are constantly plugging and unplugging the HDMI cord from the XBOX Series X while moving from room to room or if you travel with it often. The damage can also happen if the console falls while still plugged in and there is impact where the HDMI port and HDMI cable meet. If you use too much force when plugging in your HDMI cable you can break your port as well.
HOW DO I KNOW IF MY HDMI PORT IS BROKEN?
Before immediately assuming your port is broken there are a few things you can troubleshoot to help narrow down the issue.
- Check that your monitor or TV is set to the correct input channel to display your XBOX console.
- Make sure HDMI cable is connected securely to both your XBOX and to the back of your monitor or TV. Unplug and reconnect the cables to both the console and your TV/monitor.
- Rule out the HDMI cable being the issue. Remove the HDMI cable from your XBOX and use it in another device such as a laptop or a desktop that supports HDMI to see if those devices will display. You can also try a different cable if you have another HDMI cable on hand.
- If you are moving your XBOX from place to place and using different monitors your issue may be software related. If you used a monitor with a higher refresh rate than what your XBOX was plugged into you may need to change the settings to auto detect the different refresh rate. You can try hard resetting your XBOX with the following steps: 1. Unplug your power cord 2.If ethernet is plugged in unplug it. 3. Wait 30 seconds and then plug your cables back in. 4. Press and hold the sync button and the disc tray button together then hit the power button. Continue holding down the disc tray button and sync for another 15 seconds. This should hard reset your XBOX and revert settings back to auto detecting of the monitor.
- Corrupted file fix. A corrupted file is most often temporary. It is temporary and and will usually clear with a certain type of shut down. This power on and power off procedure will also clear the power capacitors. This procedure can also fix a failed firmware update. Properly turn off the XBOX and follow the steps below:
1. Press and hold the XBOX button on your console. Continue to hold it until the LED’s turn off.
2. Wait at least one minute and then remove the power cable from the console and the wall.
3. Plug power cable back into wall and console
4. Turn XBOX back on by pressing the power button and see if you now have a display.
If you have tried all of the suggestions above and your XBOX Series X is still not displaying, chances are your HDMI port is broken.
Inspect the HDMI port. Does it appear damaged? Do the pins appear bent or broken? When plugged in does the HDMI cable seem loose if you wiggle it? Not all damage is visible to the naked eye, sometimes the damage is behind the port itself where the port sits onto the PCB of the Xbox.
CAN YOU FIX MY BROKEN XBOX HDMI PORT?
YES!!!!! Even though this repair requires a complete teardown of the unit to repair it is nothing we can’t handle. XBOX Series X HDMI port repair is by far the most than past XBOX models and other consoles in general. This repair requires a complete teardown of the unit. There are multiple layers of boards and the HDMI port is a bit more tough than other consoles to remove. However, it is nothing we cannot handle. We will remove the faulty port and solder a new HDMI port onto the board. We use only high-end, better than factory HDMI parts along with stronger solder to keep the port in place.
While we have it open we will redo the cooling on the console. We will clean your processor and apply a high end ceramic thermal paste to help keep the unit running cool. The thermal paste from the factory is usually sparse and not of very good quality. The paste from the factory does little to help dissipate the heat properly.
If you are interested in having us repair your XBOX Series X click here to visit our shop and add the HDMI service to your cart. Get all the details on what you need to do and where to ship it from the above link. If you live locally in Connecticut you can drop it off at our office during our posted business hours. We will get your XBox up running in now time at all. You can continue playing your favorite XBox Series X game like Halo Infinite or Forza Horizon 5 with very little down time.
Visit our instagram to see past XBOX S Series HDMI repairs and other console jobs we have done.
SOMETIMES IT’S NOT JUST THE PORT
Depending how the port sustained damaged there can be other physical damage to the board itself. Obviously we are unable to know if there is additional damage until we inspect the board under our microscopes. If we do come across other issues it is not the end of the world. We will take pictures of the damage and let you know what it will cost to do the additional work.
A failed repair attempt is the most common reason why an XBOX’s will have additional damage. When not removed properly the attempted HDMI port removal can cause damage to the surrounding areas of the board. Improper HDMI port removal can also rip the pads under the HDMI port. board.
Ripped pads can also occur when the port takes physical impact damage, specifically when a console falls while plugged in. This is due to impact directly where the HDMI cord plugs into the HDMI port. When the console falls in such a way the port pulls up in such a way that it can take out pads in the process.
Knocked out or missing SMD components can also occur from port damage or a failed repair attempt. The SMD components are located all around the board and the HDMI port. We have seen HDMI ports no longer attached to the board due to aggressive insertion of the cable. We have also seen the SMD components that sit behind the HDMI port cracked off.
Electrical Damage is another form of damage we have seen with XBOX consoles. Specifically a failed HDMI retimer chip. We can perform this repair but will need to assess the unit first before assuming the unit isn’t displaying due to a faulty retimer chip.